In the world of heating and cooling equipment business owners are pretty spoiled for choice overall. Boiler systems, electrical, heat pump units, gas heat—and that’s really just the beginning. So when examining all of these, what is it exactly that makes a rooftop-mounted unit (RTU) all that appealing? Does it carry unique advantages over other systems? They sure do, and General Mechanical is here to detail them.
To discuss your unique heating and cooling needs in Chicago, Illinois reach out to General Mechanical online or call (224) 407-5835!
What Is a Rooftop Unit?
In case you’re unfamiliar, it’d be wise to start with a definition. The simplest difference between a rooftop unit and a more traditional cooling or heating system is that rooftop units are a packaged system as opposed to split. That means the air handler and heating and cooling elements are all located within the rooftop unit, as opposed to there being an outdoor set of components and an indoor set like with a central system or heat pump.
What Are the Advantages of a Rooftop Unit?
Why stick everything in one place, and what kind of perks can it offer? Quite a bit, actually. Your needs depend on your building, type of industry, and individual situation, of course, but you might find the following advantages appealing:
- High energy performance. Rooftop units are equipped with a wide variety of additional controls for more precise temperature control and reduced energy use. Couple this with the fact that they’re available in excellent SEER and AFUE ratings and you’re looking at an all-in-one that can help keep costs down.
- Air quality advantages. With the right additions (humidistat) a rooftop system can also offer humidity control, and the systems also naturally add more ventilation options, helping you keep clean, fresh air in your place of business.
- Reduced sound pollution. Systems build for commercial use have to be very, very strong. And this often means they also have to be very, very big. And extremely noisy as a consequence. If you find noise obnoxious or disruptive in your business then an RTU is the ideal HVAC solution.
- Simpler maintenance. Rooftop systems are easy for your maintenance teams to access and work with, and additionally ensure maintenance service teams stay out of your way, lessening interruptions.
- Security. Though the topic is a bit unpleasant, there’s something to be said for the added security of a rooftop unit. Systems located that high up and with minimal ground level access help keep these costly investments safe from vandalism and accidents.
- Space saving. Since the entire system is housed on the roof and in a single place, you save space that could otherwise be taken up by the indoor portion of a standard heating or cooling system. This can help optimize space that is better used for storage, work space, or otherwise.
Commercial Rooftop Units in Chicago with General Mechanical
With these advantages in mind, think maybe you’ve found your perfect fit? Or maybe you’re looking for some added guidance, since other systems can have some unique perks as well. Rather than stress over it, call on General mechanical for the answers you need! We’ve been offering Chicago, Illinois businesses the best in mechanical and HVAC services for over 40 years! Contact us now to get started.